Friday 22 June 2012

Quest for Happiness [Days 19, 20, 21, 22]

We arrived back home earlier this afternoon from a mini-vacation in southern Ontario complete with lots of fun in Niagara Falls. 

Travelling put me four days behind on my Happiness Quest posts but posting for the days gone by would be redundant, so I am going to combine four days of happiness into one awesome post! 

What has brought me great happiness this week is vacationing in the summer sunshine. Below is a compilation of a few of the many reasons why I love summer, road trips and why I am in the most fantastic of moods this evening. 

1) The smell of sunscreen: Weird right? Sure it is protecting my delicate skin from the harmful rays of the sun, but it also smells like the memories of summers past spent swimming and biking around the cottage or hiking through the woods, and now spent sight seeing in 42degree weather! 

Rain & Timbits at 5am
2) Timbits on roadtrips: Before this week it had probably been about four years since I ate a Timbit, now I want to eat them every day! Those delicious little doughnut holes kept us well nourished during what turned out to be a very long drive. 

3) Joel Plaskett Sing Alongs: Jay and I agree on few things, usually not food, music or TV related. One thing we do share is a love of Joel Plaskett so on road trips we always crank the Joel and rock out. It is awesome, he makes beautiful sing-a-long music. Should the opportunity present itself for you to witness his folk rock greatness in person absolutely take it- it will blow your mind with awesomeness! 

4) Sleeping in a tent: Although it was about 10 degrees too hot in the tent for sleeping this week, it is nice to fall asleep and wake to the sounds of nature. We recently invested in an air mattress which has greatly improved this joy. 


Soaked & looking a little windblown but so happy!
5) Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls: The other things I love about summer are all more general but of all the things we saw and did this week the Maid of the Mist was the best.  Having spent time in Niagara Falls before I was less stoked than Jay about all of the touristy sites but once that boat drove us into the falls and water was pouring down our faces and we couldn't stop laughing I was absolutely sold! It was too much fun to be standing in a plastic poncho being pelted with water from a gorgeous waterfall.

6) Making it to the Gas Station in the Nick of Time: Today about twenty minutes from home the gas light came on and started beeping, not the most reassuring sound on the highway. Also not the first time this has happened to me on a road trip! At least today we knew where we were so it wasn't too difficult to get to a gas station, last time it happened my best friend and I were driving along a stretch of US highway, not near any exits. Finally seeing an exit sign and finding a gas station at the end of the ramp is one of life's simple pleasures, trust me! 

That sums up why I can't wipe this silly smile off my face tonight (ok, that and the fact we are finally done driving for a few days!). Hopefully the past few days have held nothing but happiness for you as well. What are your favourite things about or memories of summer? 

Totally Legit!
I'll leave you with this last image of me hanging out with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. We're besties, it's really no big deal! To answer your question, yes they always wear their engagement announcement outfits when we hang out, they like to look fresh for me!

Keep Smiling :)

2 comments:

  1. Did the Duchess happen to ask about me? Looks like you had a great trip, glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course she did! They were wondering when you were free for dinner :) Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit! You are awesome! xo