Monday 6 October 2014

Hometown Love For Halifax

I often mention my hometown but rarely actually offer any details into the lovely city that was my home for the first twenty-three years of my life and will hopefully be my home again soon. 

Prepare yourself to be blown away with facts about the lovely Halifax, Nova Scotia. If you ever get the chance to visit Halifax (or any other Oceanside towns)DO IT!

[1] Halifax is located on the East Coast of Canada, bordered by the GORGEOUS Atlantic Ocean.


[2] The population of Halifax (and surrounding communities) is approximately 413,000. The population of the entire province of Nova Scotia is approximately 940,000. It never seemed small town, until I left. The population of my current city (Ottawa) is larger than the population of the whole province. 

[3] There is always something happening on the Halifax Waterfront, sometimes it's street performers, sometimes it's the Tall Ships, once it was the Queen visiting. Aside from the great views and special events there are tons of awesome places to eat, great views and even bicycles and segways to rent. Oh, and it's a gorgeous place to get married! 

Check out that Ocean View! Photography
[4] Citadel Hill: A Fortification right in the middle of the city that was built as a British Fort but never actually used in combat. It's a great place for field trips and fun even as an adult. Oh and everyday they fire off a cannon at noon which can be heard all over the city. 

[5] In about 20 minutes you can be taking in this breathtaking view at Peggy's Cove. 

Sunset and Whale Watching at once? Yes Please! 
[6] Halifax is home to one of the oldest surviving historic victorian-style gardens, aptly named The Public Gardens. It's full of beautiful flower beds, has two resident swans, and is a popular place for prom picnics. Recently I enjoyed it's quiet atmosphere to write a bunch of cards to mail to some of my besties. 


[7] Fresh Seafood. Being on the Atlantic Ocean seafood of all types is is easy to find in Halifax. I don't actually like seafood so I can't offer much in the way of advice- but I know there are plenty of options! 

[8] Halifax is home to six Colleges & Universities so the population is definitely enhanced when September rolls around. Linked to this is that Halifax is also one of the most bar heavy cities, per capita, in all of Canada. Recent estimates suggest Halifax still has more bars per capita than much bigger cities in Canada. So, if you want to go dancing on a Tuesday night get your butt to Hali.

[9] It's nickname is Haliwood. Get it?!?!? Like Hollywood? Not sure if anyone but me actually calls it that.

[10] The Ferry.  Part of Halifax's public transit system is the Halifax-Dartmouth ferry. It's the oldest salt water ferry crossing in North America, and the second oldest in the world. The ride is only about 15 minutes, and is my favourite way to get around the city. 

Best of all, it's home to many of my friends and family! 

I'd love to hear about your hometown and the place you call home now? Is it the same place, or have you gone adventuring with plans to return (or not) in the future? Tell me all about it!


Keep Smiling :) 

1 comments:

  1. LOVE this post!! I still get a kick out of it when people say Halliwood (myself included).Annnnd now I want a feed of lobster lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit! You are awesome! xo